All Members of The Portuguese
Podengo Club of Great Britain undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics.
1. Will properly
house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2. Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an
operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a Caesarean Section
on a bitch, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable
4. Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5. Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6. Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful
to the dog or to the breed.
7. Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause
nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8. Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars
and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10. Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help
with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs
in a new home.
12. Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided
to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward all relevant documents at the
earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13. Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail
pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not
sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding
the health or quality of a dog.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or
disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.